If you are new to the world of yoga, you should definitely familiarise yourself with the different yoga asanas and how to perform them correctly. One such asana is Parsvakonasana, otherwise known as Intense Side Stretch Pose. This pose is perfect for those who want to calm their minds and relieve stress. In this blog, we share with you all the important details you need to know about Parsvottanasana (Intense Side Stretch Pose) as you embark on your new fitness journey. In this article, we’ll read about Parsvottanasana steps and it’s benefits.
What Is Parsvottanasana (Intense Side Stretch Pose)?
Parsvottanasana is derived from Sanskrit, and you will find the breakdown of the word below:
Parsva = Side
Uttana = Intense stretch
Asana – Pose
Also known as Pyramid Pose, this powerful yoga asana is a variation of the popular Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold) and comes with many benefits, such as strengthening one’s legs, hamstrings and hips, improving flexibility and digestion, as well as calming the mind. It is ideal for balancing the body and mind. This asana is also used by many yoga practitioners to build their confidence.
What Are The Benefits Of Parsvottanasana?
Yoga asanas have been known to be beneficial for both one’s physical and mental health, and Parsvottanasana is among one of the poses that many yoga enthusiasts perform to boost their confidence, improve their flexibility and strengthen their body. Intense Side Stretch Pose offers the following benefits:
- To Enhance Flexibility: As this asana helps in stretching the spine, hips and legs, it is perfect for you if you want to improve your flexibility. And if practised often, it can gradually help you in reducing the stiffness you may have and improve your range of motion.
- To Strengthen The Body: As this pose helps in building strength in your legs, core, and upper body, it is ideal for improving your physical strength and endurance.
- To Improve Balance & Stability: As Parsvottanasana requires a significant amount of balance and stability, both can improve over time. When practised regularly, you will gradually develop better balance as well as coordination. This can further help to prevent falls and injuries.
- To Reduce Stress & Anxiety: As this asana requires your concentration and focus, it can help to calm your mind and reduce stress as well as anxiety. Focusing on your breath and body posture will help you in releasing your tension and find inner peace.
- To Improve Digestive System: For those experiencing indigestion or constipation, Parsvottanasana is recommended as it stimulates the digestive system. It massages the internal organs, which can help you detoxify and cleanse your body.
- To Boost Energy and Concentration: As Parsvottanasana involves the stretching of your spine and opening your chest, it increases your energy and improves your concentration.
Parsvottanasana (Intense Side Stretch Pose): Steps
Parsvottanasana is a highly beneficial yoga posture that provides a wide range of physical, mental, and spiritual benefits. By adding this asana to your regular yoga practice, you can strengthen your body, enhance your flexibility, and improve your overall health and well-being. To do the Intense Side Stretch Pose correctly, follow the steps below:
- With your feet hip-width apart, stand at the front of your yoga mat.
- While keeping your feet parallel to each other, use your left leg to stand back.
- Now, with your right foot facing forward, turn out your left foot to about a 45-degree angle. Ensure that your weight is distributed evenly between both your feet.
- Next, lift up both your arms over your head and inhale and lengthen your spine as you do so.
- Fold forward from your hips, exhale and remember to stop before your back begins to round.
- Keep your right hip back and bring your left thigh inwards.
- Maintaining this position, take 5 to 10 deep breaths and move on to the other side to repeat the same.
Read more: Exercises to Avoid for Shoulder Impingement
Tips For Practicing Parsvottanasana
If you are trying Parsvottanasana for the first time, here are some tips you can follow to ensure that you do not make any mistakes:
- If you are a beginner, we suggest that you use a chair to support your hands as you fold forward.
- Instead of rounding your back when you fold forward, focus on lengthening your spine.
- To ensure that you maintain your balance, fix your gaze forward or downwards.
- Avoid overdoing it and folding deeper than your body can handle. Take your time and work at your own pace.
Parsvottanasana is a powerful pose that can benefit the body and mind in many ways. Whether you’re looking to improve flexibility, build strength, or simply find a moment of peace and quiet, this pose is definitely worth trying.
If you have any prior injuries, do consult your doctor before trying Parsvottanasana. And rather than starting this asana by yourself, we advise that you seek the guidance of a yoga instructor or a fitness expert to be on the safer side. You can talk to one of our dedicated fitness trainers at 6262 Fitness if you’re looking for the best fitness trainer in India by calling 9769942205 or by emailing email@example.com.
Read more: Benefits Of Yoga For Mental Health